Submitting Faculty work
Permission Guidelines for Previously Published Works
All works submitted to DigitalCommons must be cleared for use by the copyright owner.
For works the author holds the copyright to, please fill out a submission form, linked below, and e-mail it along with your publication files to the library at firstname.lastname@example.org - subject: Faculty Submission. PDF is the preferred format for text-based files. Some work may include other file formats such as photos, music and video. These files can also be accepted into the repository.
Suggested Steps for Acquiring Permission to Add Materials to DigitalCommons
1. First, determine who owns copyright for the work. If possible, authors should look at the agreements signed during the publication process to see if such use is permissible.
2. If a signed agreement cannot be located or if the agreement is not clear on whether electronic reprints are permissible, the next step is to locate the publisher's policy. Many known policies for academic publishers are listed on the SHERPA/RoMEO website.
3. If the publisher is not listed on the SHERPA/RoMEO website, the publisher should be contacted directly. Often a quick online search will lead to contact information for authors' rights management offices within a publisher's site. Templates for permissions request letters that can be used when contacting publishers are available through the links below:
- Permission from publisher/journal to post to IR from author
- Permission from publisher/journal to post to IR from IR admin (on behalf of authors)
4. Once written permission to add materials to DigitalCommons has been secured, please fill out a submission form, linked below, and e-mail is along with the publisher's written permission and your publication file(s) to the library at email@example.com - subject: Faculty Submission. Some work may include other file formats such as photos, music and video. These files can also be accepted into the repository.